Monday, August 15, 2011

Summer's almost gone.

As summer winds down and I find today’s 89 degrees much more tolerable than the 102 of weeks past, I can’t believe how much things have changed in a few short months.  And for the most part, things have changed for the better.
Blogging has brought a level of introspection and insight I never expected.  It’s also made me more accountable.  After putting all my dirt out there for everyone to see, it’s nice when I--- and my friends---hold myself to what I post.  The gentle reminders of others to be thankful, not spaz out on my kids, and of course to keep up my bikini line laser treatments, has kept me incredibly motivated.
I’ve also pushed myself to try things I thought I would never do.  Like attending writer’s groups, going to Blogger socials, and wearing heels.  I hate heels.  They may look amazing, but I don’t suffer for fashion often.  I do, however, have to agree that I feel sexier as soon as I slip them on.  So I might stick it out.
I’ve welcomed a lot more people into my life and have made unprecedented efforts to keep them there.  The days of unreturned calls, emails, and texts are gone, though I won’t lie and say it’s been easy.  It’s a daily struggle, but one that has proven well worth the time.  There doesn’t seem to be enough minutes in the day to catch up with everyone lately.  Or enough evenings in the week to see the faces I miss.
My kids are growing like crazy and becoming more inquisitive by the day.  It’s fascinating to watch a five-year-old change over the course of a year.  It’s exhilarating to watch how quickly a two year old’s speech advances in a week.
I turned 33, which, let’s face it, pretty much sucks.  But oddly, I don’t remember ever feeling more comfortable in my own skin.  I always thought people who said that this happened after 30 was a load, but maybe they aren’t as insane as originally anticipated.  Or perhaps I’ve lost it and don’t know.
And I couldn’t be more thrilled about the books I’m working on.
I’m excited for fall and what it might bring.  Summer will be missed.  But I’m ready for pool days to evolve into football-filled weekends.  I am not excited about losing my tan, but it’s only a temporary change.  And that’s what I love most about life: the possibilities.

0 comments:

Post a Comment