Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I got crabs in LA. The Dungeness variety.

Sunday night, I found Heaven on earth in the form of a restaurant called Crustacean.  My mom had told me about this magical place with a glass-covered koi river running through it,
and the best garlic crab and noodles on the planet.  But until you enter this corner restaurant in Beverly Hills,and smell the seafood-garlic deliciousness, there is absolutely no way to imagine how good it really is.

Upon being seated at this table,

I was first told about the “Secret Kitchen.”  According to the waiter (and this menu),

there is a secret walled kitchen within the kitchen at Crustacean.  It is small.  Only the head chef and the cooks who have been with the establishment over 10 years are allowed inside.  The mix of garlic and spices they use has been a family secret for over 30 years, and honestly, after all of the hype, I believed there was no way the food could live up to the legend.
Then, my food arrived.  Not only did it look like this…

But at first bite, I thought I might slap my mama.  Seriously, she was sitting right there.  I almost slapped her.  It was that good.
I thought my favorite food in LA was enchiladas at The Ivy.  But if I could have any food from the entire state of California make its way to Charleston, it would be the Dungeness crab and garlic noodles from Crustacean.  I wish I could fill up my suitcase and bring them home.  I want to fly them in by the pound. 
I will miss you Crustacean.  I will think of you often and fondly.  And until we meet again, I hope you show up in my dreams paired with that delicious Cabernet.


0 comments:

Post a Comment