Saturday, August 20, 2011

Is it possible to be an exercise convert?

           Working out has never been a part of my life.  There were a few weeks back in 1999 when my roommate drug me to the gym, and another brief stint in 2000 when I lived in San Francisco and gave it a shot.  But for the most part, I’ve never exercised.  People always talk about how good they feel when they get to the gym and how energized they are when they leave.  I, on the other hand, don’t like it any more once I arrive and usually feel on the verge of death as I exit.
            Over the last year, health issues have run rampant in my family.  High blood pressure, strokes, heart attacks, you name it and someone in my family has experienced it.  I’ll admit it has me scared.  Not scared enough to join a gym.  But it’s unsettling enough to make me think about doing something.  I know, it’s a very small step.
I think the biggest problem is that I get bored easily.  I know there are a multitude of machines and classes I could try, but it all amounts to an activity I simply do not enjoy.  So, is it possible to become someone who does enjoy the routine?  I suppose the only way to find out is to make a genuine effort.  Maybe I can convince myself I’m doing it for my kids.  Perhaps I can view it as an opportunity to see more of my friends.  There are at least five people who have been pushing for me to give Barre, Spinning, and Pilates a chance for years.  It really couldn’t hurt.  Actually, it could.  And as my friend told me last night, sometimes you just have to try something different.

0 comments:

Post a Comment