Saturday, August 27, 2011

I want to go back to Bora Bora.

            If I could choose what the afterlife would be like, it would have to be set in Bora Bora.  It’s been almost 8 years since I stepped off the plane in LA.  Then Tahiti.  Then Papeete.  Then took the crazy little boat ride over to the island of Bora Bora.  It was an incredibly long journey.  But since then, I’ve been to France, Spain, the Netherlands…Nothing compares to the simple beauty of this tiny little island in French Polynesia.
When I was little, I remember there was a commercial for Bora Bora that played every Saturday morning.  Oddly, I’m pretty sure the voiceover was done by a guy from Jamaica; but ever since seeing those images as a kid, I’d fantasized about those beautiful beaches, and I desperately wanted to go.  It was always number one on my list.
There are many times in life when expectations cannot possibly be met.  Something simply can’t be as perfect as you imagine.  But this was not one of them.  Pictures and videos cannot demonstrate how clear the water is.  You can’t imagine how far you can see.  Clouds are whiter there.  Fish are brighter.  Coconuts and bananas picked off the trees and handed to you taste better than anything I’ve ever had.
Even better, our resort only guaranteed phone service on certain days.  There was no TV.  No internet.   Our bungalow sat right on the beach, the water lapping only feet from our back door.  Drinks flowed freely.  Delicious food was devoured constantly.  And it was Christmas time.   I had no idea if Christmas would be celebrated there and honestly, it didn’t matter.  But as it turns out, they throw one heck of a Christmas party in French Polynesia, including maple syrup infused vodka shots at breakfast. 
 We stayed in Bora Bora for nine days.  It was the most enchanting nine days I’ve ever spent.  I wish I was lazing around on that catamaran right now thinking about absolutely nothing.  At least Hurricane Irene is gone and we have beautiful blue skies here today.  But sorry Charleston, you just don’t compare.

0 comments:

Post a Comment