Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Ode to distraction.

             Some days, I literally find myself staring at the computer screen for hours on end.  I swear I knew what I wanted to write early in the morning, but somehow, by the time childcare falls into place and errands have been run, it’s hard to find my focus.  It’s difficult to write on a schedule.
            Being creative on the clock is a relatively new challenge for me.  Primarily, because I’ve never really considered myself that creative.  I’ve always loved to learn.  I get a kick out of studying (Yes, I’m a nerd).  But crafty and artsy I am not.  So when I started feeling an overwhelming desire to write books, create worlds that previously didn’t exist, and fully conceptualize individuals who aren’t real, I was a tiny bit surprised. 
            I’d written before in high school and college, primarily poetry, but I wasn’t sure I had it in me to complete an entire book.  Then somehow, over the course of six or seven months, I managed to write an entire 368 page Young Adult novel.  And only weeks after completing it, I had a crazy dream which was the impetus for a three book series.  Once the first was completed (and a handful of chapters in the second), I started another totally unrelated title.  And then, seemingly out of nowhere, two more followed.  Now I’m sitting on a pile of manuscripts and wondering if anything will ever come out of all this effort.
            Thursday, I leave for a conference in LA.  My first in this field.  I’ve attended many in the Psych realm, but this is uncharted territory.  I’m putting my words out there and there’s a very good chance I’ll be told that they suck.  But isn’t the whole point of writing a book to get other people to read it?  I keep reminding myself that it is.  It’s a scary, slippery slope, but one I’m ready to scale and possibly tumble down.
So if you find me in a heap next Wednesday, you’ll know why.  And if you find that I’m still Facebooking and blogging, you’ll know I survived the criticism.  But for now, just know that I’m staring blindly at a computer screen wondering what comes next.  Because if writing books has taught me anything, you just never know.

2 comments:

Angie Mizzell said...

I took my book to a writer's conference last year and the feedback and connections were priceless. But it was interesting what happened to me, and to the other writers I met there. On day one, we were all giddy and excited-- full of nerves and possibility. The next day, after our one-on-one appointments with agents, etc, we were all a bit drained and deflated. Whether the meetings are positive or not, there's a let-down effect. But I swear taking the time to meet industry people in person goes a long way.

I loved hearing about how your stories have come together. By writing more than one novel, you are already leaps and bounds above the rest. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Angie, it is so cool to hear about your conference experience. I would love to hear more about your book, your process, and where you are on the road to publication. Maybe we could chat after I get back from LA?

Post a Comment