Sunday, April 22, 2012

Bullying 2.0


Facebook bullying is nothing new.  It probably happens a million times a day to people all over the world; however, it is something which is personally new to me.  And let me assure you that it is devastating, threatening, and makes you feel utterly powerless.

Yes, I am going through a divorce.  Yes, people are upset.  But I wholeheartedly feel it is not the right of others to blatantly post vicious attacks on me on their Facebook pages. 

I’m going to stop here for a second and make it very clear that this has not been done by my husband.  I am accusing him of nothing.  In fact, I’m 99.9% sure that he asked for it to be removed.  And I’m grateful for that.

Anyway…

It’s easy to unfriend someone.  It only takes two clicks to delete them permanently from your news feed and no longer have to read their venom.  But I guarantee it is much harder to delete their attacks from your psyche.

Several of my previous blogs have been devoted to bullying and I’ve often discussed how important it is to me for my children to know how painful it can be and how wrong it is.  But this is not the time to teach.  There is no way I would try to explain my own personal bullying situation to them.  I don’t want them involved in the dissolution of my marriage and I would never encourage hatred towards people who are currently in their lives.

So if you ever think Facebook is the appropriate venue for tearing someone down, think again.  It only makes you look cruel and cowardly.

For more information on what cyberbullying is and how to stop it, please visit: www.stopcyberbullying.org

1 comments:

Dedee said...

I enjoy reading your blog, glad to see you are back writing. You can feel the the love you have for your family in your writing.

I am sorry you are going thru a difficult time, I remember long ago when I was in a similar situation, My Mother told me,
Keep your head high, remember who you are, the person you are, then when all the mud slides to the bottom, you will still be standing tall.

Remember this, don't let ignorant,spiteful,ugly comments affect the beautiful, wonderful, caring person you are!

Post a Comment