Sunday, April 29, 2012

A beautiful mess.

Years ago when I was in grad school, Colin traveled constantly.  There were periods of time when I wouldn't see him for four weeks.  And one time when he was in Greece, we couldn't even catch each other on the phone for over ten days.

Weird or not, I always had this thing where I refused to move anything on his desk or wash his pillowcase until he was safely back at home. 

Now that the kids split their time between my house and Colin's, I find myself doing the same thing with their stuff. 

Yes, I clean up the dishes, crumbs, and mud they leave behind.  But I just can't bring myself to move things they were playing with or created.

Sundays are the hardest.  They've been gone for two days and I know I have one more long night without them.  But seeing their stuff where they left it is like getting a tiny squeeze that says,  "We'll be back!"

Here's what they left me on Friday.  : )

Lego originals on the dining room table.

Dinosaurs who attacked the doormat and left it askew.

Bath toys that escaped from the tub.


An "elevator" attached to my blinds and our bedtime books from Thursday night.

Teague's phonics books on my nightstand.

An unmade bottom bunk with more blankets than any one person could possibly need.


Wolverine's gloves attacking Lightning McQueen while Nemo looks on.

Because sitting in the closet while learning the alphabet and numbers while playing a Phineas and Ferb guitar makes perfect sense.

Buzz and his new friend.

It's a beautiful mess.  The best kind of disorder.  And one I won't straighten up because it is Teague and Crews perfection.

0 comments:

Post a Comment