Monday, June 13, 2011

Wine is sunlight held together by water.

Eleven years ago my husband and I moved to San Francisco.  I wasn’t a big wine drinker at the time, but that quickly changed when I discovered Napa Valley and its big bold reds.  Now, I’m a sucker for an intense Cabernet though I will tolerate a strong Merlot.  Pinots are far too weak for my taste and don’t ever attempt to hand me a glass of white.  Champagne is acceptable on occasion, and by “on occasion” I mean mixed with orange juice to make our Sunday Funday mimosas.
For me, the best part of living in San Francisco was the extensive wine selection at jaw-dropping prices.  Bottles I’m forced to pay $25 for in Charleston used to cost me around $8 at the corner shop on Third Avenue in the Richmond district.  Therefore I spent years trying to find a delicious Cab for under $10.  I’d heard stories of the wonder that is “Two Buck Chuck” but the closest Trader Joe’s has always been hours and hours away from Charleston (I know.  There is one opening in Mt. Pleasant very soon and I’ll probably run over and grab a case).
So in my long search for the perfect cheap Cab, I stumbled across what my friends and I now refer to as “Chicken Wine.”  Technically, this delectable treat is called Rex-Goliath, but the label has a drawing of a giant 47 pound rooster on it and in my opinion it really shouldn’t be called anything else. 
When I started serving it to guests several years ago, they always commented on how delicious it was.  And when I casually mentioned it cost $6, people were shocked.  Over the last year, Chicken Wine has won 30 gold medals and the winery has made a fortune off me and my friends.  When I found it selling 2 for $10 at Earth Fare I was ecstatic.  When I found it somewhere else (I can’t reveal my secret.  It’s been flying off the shelves) two weeks ago for $4.97, I bought every bottle they had. 
Don’t misunderstand.  I absolutely love expensive wines and we drink those in our house too.  But our go-to bottle will always be that of the chicken.  So stop on by for a glass and maybe I’ll tell you where you can find it for under $5.  Or even better, bring me a bottle when you come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or better yet, bring a whole case!

Amanda said...

Cheers to Chicken Wine...

my little corner of Charleston said...

Glad to see you dragged your blog from the blogger attic and posted it.
Fun isn't it!

Post a Comment