Friday, June 24, 2011

Laser hair removal of the bikini line kind.

            A few months ago my new obsession Dealmobs (It’s like Groupon), ran a deal for $450 worth of laser hair removal for $99.  I’ve wanted to try it for years, but couldn’t justify the outrageous prices. Especially since a pack of razors costs about a dollar.   But when I spotted this deal, I quickly shelled out the cash and today was the day I got zapped.
            I must admit I really wasn’t nervous about the procedure until I started discussing it with my friends.  Almost everyone I spoke to had heard from someone that it was incredibly painful.  Some described it as being popped with a rubber band while others said it was like being charred.  Neither sounded very fun, but I decided it couldn’t possibly be more uncomfortable than pregnancy and childbirth.  So with a handful of well-wishes and several dozen “Let us know how it goes” I went to visit Gina the laser lady at two o’clock.
                Here are my lasering notes:
First, if you are at all shy or modest, bikini line lasering may not be for you.  After stripping down and sitting in what looked like a dentist’s chair, cross-legged, I couldn’t help but laugh out loud. 
Second, if you're like me, you might begin to doubt your pain threshold when a laser is pointed at your nether regions. As Gina powered up the machine and completed her “research,” I started wondering exactly how high my pain tolerance was.   There were a few seconds where I thought this might not be the best idea.
Third, areas that are tan cannot be lasered.  So part of this process will have to be completed in the fall when I no longer live in a swimsuit every day.  Kind of a bummer since being in a swimsuit every day is the reason I bought it!
Fourth, I decided what the heck and had my underarms done too.  I really didn’t think the laser was that painful and I was already there.  The first hit was shocking because I didn’t know what to expect, but truly it just felt like a burst of heat that lasted about two seconds.  Totally manageable.  I will say the bikini area is a little more painful than the underarms but not significantly so.  Regardless, Gina was nice enough to ice down my armpits and crotch.
Less than an hour after the treatment, I feel good.  I think it will be worth it in the long run and I would recommend it.  I go back in a month for round two and I’m thinking I might do my legs then.  Thank goodness Dealmobs ran another laser special yesterday and Living Social has one right now.  Happy early birthday to me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment