Thursday, June 23, 2011

Luck or the Law of Attraction?

           This has been a strange week to say the least.  I wouldn’t go so far as to label it horrible, but it is one of those weeks where things seem to be off balance.  Usually, when something goes wrong I try to brush it off and move forward.  But when thing number two goes wrong, I start to feel a little superstitious and think about the rule of three.  You know how people say bad things happen in threes?  Well, this week has kind of exceeded the rule.   Except the bad luck seems to be spread amongst several people.
            Monday:  I learn that a friend of mine has been side-swiped on a bridge and needs to get her car fixed.  I also keep getting a flat tire and can’t figure out why.
Tuesday:  My friend Amanda totals her car and Colin and I get rear-ended in the Dunkin Donuts drive-thru after dropping off my car for service.  They are two completely separate incidents though they happen at the exact same time.  Then, I experience the whole beach/sunscreen/lack of swimsuit/seatbelt debacle.  Admittedly, Amanda’s issue is far worse than mine.
Wednesday:  Well, actually Wednesday is pretty good except I get the worst pedicure of my life.  But still, someone rubbed my feet for ten minutes and it was “me” time so I feel like I can’t complain.
Thursday: I ask my brother-in-law, Chris to meet me at the water park at 9.  I arrive at 8:45 only to discover the water park does not open until 10.  We spend an hour at the park across the street and guess what?  I don’t have on a shirt.  I thought I was going to the water park!  So I’m wearing a bikini and shorts and as other moms show up they are giving me the stink eye.   Awesome.
We finally go to the water park at 10 and when we pull into the parking lot, Chris’ girlfriend locks her keys in her car.  She has to wait an hour for the locksmith to show up and it costs $70.
When we enter the park, Crews finds a penny, heads up.  I think our luck is about to change.
But then I open a new bottle of sunscreen and it won’t spray.  Thank goodness I have brought a backup bottle.
At 11:40 when Crews loses his mind and threatens to collapse on the ground and Teague is convinced that the only grilled cheese on the planet that can satisfy him is at the water park snack bar, I quickly gather our stuff and herd everyone to the car.  The ride home is uneventful and I get Crews down for a nap.  Score! 
As I exhale and crack open a Diet Coke for a little late morning energy boost,  I realize I’m still wearing a towel and my new linen shorts are still at the water park.  I bribe Teague with a popsicle and return to the water park.  My shorts are still there and I’m ecstatic. 
I then proceed to have a wonderful pool playdate at my house with my friend Jodi, her sister Meredith, and our kids.  The water is warm.  The conversation is fantastic.  And there seems to be no more bad juju in sight.  For now…
I hope whatever this is turns around tomorrow.  But most of all I hope I am not putting all of this negativity out into the universe.  Today, I decide this is just a string of bad luck.  But if tomorrow rules, I will definitely take credit and go with the law of attraction.  We all flip flop sometimes.  Right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment