Friday, January 04, 2013

Why, or rather HOW, I gained 5 pounds in 5 days.

If you are happy with your current weight then don't go to Italy.  Or go.  Say to hell with my weight.  And consume every morsel you spot whether it be at the Farmer's Market on Sunday; inside one of the million Gelaterias; seated snugly in a beautiful heated sidewalk cafe; or lingering by a stand on wheels.

As a meat and cheese kind of girl (who also loves her some bold red wine!), I had no intention of holding back.  I knew I was going to return home with pants that fit a little tighter and a wine and salt bloat to boot.  So I threw on my jeggings and legwarmers (my new obsession!), zipped up my puffy coat, and set out to get my grub on.


Blue Ice is hands-down the best gelato in all of Rome.  I prefer one scoop of Coconut with one scoop of Milk.
Antipasto at Zio Ciro.
The strongest Limoncello in all of Rome.
Unlimited candy at Piazza Navona.
More Blue Ice!
Ciambelle = Donuts.  Sorry Italy, but that was no Krispy Kreme!
Meat!
More meat!
This seemed disgusting my first night there when it was 60 degrees.  By night four when it was 35 degrees, it seemed like a GREAT idea!
Big meat!
Roasted chestnuts.  Look beautiful.  Smell like rotting garbage.
Yes, please!
I watched this slab of ham diminish over 5 days at a sandwich shop near my hotel.  Amazing!
Virgilio.  So damn good I ate there twice!

Fried olives at Virgilio.

Garlic Bruschetta 5 ways.

Quattro formagge.

Absolute best Limoncello in Rome.  Virgilio.

Brunch - Eggs Benedict with Parmesan fondue.

Snack.  Right outside the Pantheon.

Chocolate made to look like Mortadella.  Intriguing and disgusting.

Pork and grapes!

Coneage.
Now this is coconut water.

Chocolate cake at a little cafe where I consumed my weight in prosciutto.

When you reach the top of the Spanish Steps, you should eat.  Here.
See their beautiful confections below...








I really wish I could remember the name of this place!  Vanilla bean macaroons I would slap my mama for.

Mid-afternoon snack.

More snack.

A little more.

Maybe another bite...

That too, please.

That's right.  Put your veggies out front and show me how fresh they are!

Fried squash blossoms are flipping amazing.

So cute.  How could you not go there?!
My favorite bar near Trevi Fountain.  And the best mimosa I have ever had in my entire life.  See below.





Yes, I stopped by an Irish bar and still drank Chianti.

Does pasta get any prettier?

Christmas and Limoncello just go together...in Italy.

Beautiful gelateria.

Sunday Farmer's Market...






I was tempted to buy a bag and eat them in my hotel room.  They smelled amazing.


You could smell the heat and sweetness.




Mushroom displays outside of restaurants.
Just a little last night in Rome yumminess.


And that's how I gained 5 pounds (of happiness) in Rome in 5 days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment