Thursday, September 15, 2011

Insight in unexpected places.

Sometimes advice or discouragement comes from the most unlikely sources.  From time to time, an unexpected conversation becomes incredibly enlightening.  And sometimes, talking to someone you don’t know all that well is great for gaining perspective on a situation you are too close to.
It’s funny how we get bogged down in our own issues.  I know sometimes I’m wandering through a dense forest of interwoven thoughts and fail to see the individual problems obscuring my view.  So when I went to a meeting yesterday expecting lighthearted fun (which there was) and then ended up discussing more serious topics, it was more than food for thought.  It was a frickin’ banquet.
From writer’s block and people’s tendency toward change, to appropriate therapeutic interventions and confidentiality concerns, it was grill or be grilled for hours.  And though unexpected, like most occurrences in my life, I think it happened for a reason.  It gave me perspective.  Reminded me how different everyone’s path can be.  And that often, regardless of how much we know, it can be hard to practice what we preach. 
I forget how not black and white things are.  Especially when you’re fully immersed in raising kids.  With them, it’s: You do “fill in the blank,” then “blank” happens.  But being a grown up is different.  We all make decisions for different reasons.  We act upon them in different ways.  And though sometimes it would be much easier to tell someone the way they are doing it is wrong, there are plenty of things people just have to learn for themselves.  And my fellow conversationalist was correct: “People can surprise you.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment