Tuesday, September 06, 2011

I can tell you what it’s like to eat in a restaurant wearing only a robe.

             In a year chock-full of new experiences and big decisions, one of the biggest and most impactful was going to Mii Amo in Arizona for four days.  I was super-nervous about leaving the boys and not too keen on going to the desert.  I’m definitely an ocean and palm trees kind of girl.  Cactuses and dirt?  Not so much.
By definition, Mii Amo is a destination spa/resort nestled in the side of red-rock-filled Boynton Canyon outside of Sedona.  It has repeatedly been ranked as the world’s best destination spa, and its associates pride themselves on providing a journey of transformation and exploration. 
But you also put on a robe within five minutes of check-in, and you don’t wear clothes again until check-out.  And that just pretty much rules.
            It’s impossible to describe all of the things that make this spot so unique.  As soon as I stepped out of the car, I felt different.  Grounded.  Connected to the canyon in a way that doesn’t make sense.  It may have something to do with the strong Native American ties there.  After all, there is Blackfeet blood in my veins.  But as much I enjoyed the calming atmosphere (there is a focus on natural light, water, and pure materials such as wood and adobe brick), the red clay wraps, the past-life regression, the hot stone treatment, the aromatherapy, and the endless massages, I have to be honest: the experience was totally bolstered by the complete absence of clothes for four days.  Even in the restaurant.
            I’ll admit.  That first night sitting at a community-style table with all the new arrivals in robes was a little strange.  My first thought was, “I wonder if these people are wearing underwear?”  Then, as course after course of some of the freshest food I’ve ever consumed arrived, I kind of forgot about the robes.  And the idea that I was surrounded by underwear-less people.
            By Day 2, I was totally in my element and pretty much never wanted to wear anything but a robe again.  Well, a robe and my Uggs.  My feet are perpetually cold.  Indoors, outdoors, eating, sitting by the fire, and hanging out at the smoothie bar…all done in a robe.  It’s liberating. 
            Of course, there just had to be that one guy who always seemed to forget that he was wearing a robe.  Everybody there got a glimpse of his goodies.  My mom and I actually laughed until we cried at dinner one night because of this man’s perpetually agape attire.  Actually, I think the whole restaurant was cracking up.
            There were so many things I learned about myself during my time there, and I cannot wait to go back again.  For my birthday, my mom gave me a trip back there with her and hopefully, we’ll go in January.  There’s still a lot learn and a lot more relaxing to be done.  And yes, a lot more robe sitting. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment