Monday, September 19, 2011

Choosing a school.

           It’s that time: We’ve started to receive letters from local schools wondering if we have any interest in them for Teague’s venture into first grade next fall.  I’ve known this was coming since the 2’s.  I’ve spoken endlessly to other parents about their preferences and experiences.  And now, it’s time to start visiting Open Houses.
            Honestly, the whole process stresses me out.  We’ve had three great years at Ashley Hall where we’ve made so many great friends and Teague has gotten all of the love and support he needed to crawl out of the shell he used to live in.  Sometimes, I wish he would inch his way back in.  Just a little bit.  Just enough to stop being so sassy.  Can you refer to boys as sassy or is it just called defiance?
            That said, I think the most difficult part of this decision is figuring out how to handle all of the information coming at me.  Some people have very strong feelings about certain schools.  And I worry that you can’t truly know a school until you’ve been a part of it.  Of course, each child is different and their needs vary.  So what works for my friend’s kid may not work for mine.  Teague and Crews don’t even attend the same school.  They each go where they fit best.
            But first grade is a whole new world for us.  It’s the beginning of our (real) elementary school experience.  And I want to make the best possible choice for Teague so that he can make friends and remain with them for years, just as he did through preschool and kindergarten.
            It looks like November will be a busy month.  Teague will turn 6 (Really?!) and we have multiple schools to visit and tour.  All the while, he is growing like a weed, reading, and losing teeth.  That infant I used to drag to Gymboree is long gone and has officially been replaced with a big kid.  I can’t wait to hear his opinion about where he goes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment