Friday, September 16, 2011

Fridays, Sundays, Food, and Booze!

            For me, Friday means I don’t have to rush around the following morning making lunches and packing school bags.  I don’t have to get pancakes on the table by 7; teeth brushed by 7:30; and shoo the boys out the door by 7:45. 
We get to slow things down.  Watch silly shows.  Ride scooters in the driveway.  Plan our Sunday Funday activities with friends.  And of course, know that lots of home-cooked food and delicious adult beverages will be present.
            I usually start planning my weekend menu on Friday morning (typically with the help of Amanda and Kate’s requests).  They know my personal cookbook inside and out, and the texts start pouring in mid-week for Sunday Funday, a now years-long tradition in our house.
Summer Sunday Funday always implies 4 things:
1)      A cheese plate- There is always 3!
2)      Swimming and lots of other kid-friendly activities.
3)      A minimum of two entrees-Because once I start cooking, I can’t stop!
4)      Beer, wine, and Colin’s signature drink of summer which changes each year.
I tend to steer clear of the drinks of summer.  Liquor and I don’t mix.  I’m generally a red wine drinker, but when out by the pool (or anchored in the harbor) I’m a beer kind of girl.  During the hot months, I love nothing more than a smooth Blue Moon.  Sometimes, I’ll reach for a Sweetwater Blue though last year my beer of choice was a Shock Top with an orange slice.  And yes, I can settle for a Bud Select now and then.
But with the weather cooling down, and Sunday becoming less of a pool day and more of a football fete, I’m looking forward to the spicier brews.  One of my absolute Fall favorites?  Pumpkinhead Ale.  I haven’t spotted it in stores yet, but I’m on the lookout.  It is the perfect accompaniment to thick soups and robust stews.  It stands up nicely to hearty meatballs and even goes down well with braised short ribs.
Today, because it’s cool and overcast, I’m feeling inspired to make Beer and Cheese soup.  I use a delicious local beer (Palmetto Pale Ale), sharp cheddar, and leeks to create this dish.  It’s like liquid, golden, Heaven in a bowl.  With bite!  And who knows?  Maybe I’ll just keep right on cooking until Sunday.  I could always fill up the freezer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment