Friday, July 19, 2013

First sleepover: Part 2.

On July 15th, 2011, I posted a blog entitled "First sleepover."  It was the very first time I had EVER spent the night away from my firstborn and I was absolutely terrified.

A few days before, a classmate's dad had contacted us about a sleepover.  I was immediately horrified.  I was sure that my five-year-old was in no way ready for a sleepover and I was totally opposed to the idea.  However, after talking with Jack's dad, Pat, and learning that he knew the ropes (4 kids of his own) I felt comfortable enough to let Teague go.

I practically packed Teague an entire suitcase for just one night.  He had rash guards, sunscreen, a life jacket, and a bag of snacks big enough to supply an army for a weekend.  I let Pat know that Teague only ate 3 things and he most likely wouldn't eat anything until he came home the next day.  I also sent several cans of Pediasure just in case Teague preferred to drink his meals instead of eat (the norm).  And then I tried to settle in for a quiet evening with only one child.

But at 9 o'clock I started getting texts.  Teague wasn't feeling well and looked like he might throw up.  Within 10 minutes, Teague had puked all over Pat.  And the bathroom.  And the Master bedroom.  Pat told me he had cooked Teague a pizza, baked him chicken nuggets, and "fried up a mean grilled cheese," but Teague had refused it all.  Eventually, he had consumed one bite of a cupcake. 

They had been boating all day and Teague definitely didn't make drinking water a priority.  Mix that with total food refusal, 100 degrees, and it's a bad combo.  By 9:30, Colin was on his way to Kiawah to pick up Teague.  For those of you who don't live in Charleston, it's a solid 45-50 minute drive each way.

I learned many things that night:

1) If your kid is at a sleepover, don't ever feel free to drink as much as you want.  You could be called upon at any hour to go pick him up.

2) Even the most experienced parents can't soothe your kids the way you do.

3) It's never too far to go pick up your kid.

4) People will surprise you with their kindness when your kid pukes all over their house.

5) Sometimes you have to let go and put a little faith in someone you have a good feeling about.  Even if you don't know why yet.

6) Kids remember their first sleepover and can recall every detail of that experience.  It's a total rite of passage.

7) I wouldn't change anything about that first sleepover experience: Teague felt comfortable with Jack and his dad, and he knew we would be there when he needed us.  He has known it ever since.

Tonight is Crews' first sleepover.  He's been begging and pleading for at least a year.  He has been ready for a long time, but I find it so hard to let him go.  He may only be 4, but he is much older at heart.  He is bold because of his brother.  He is strong in spite of him.  He is tough because of his mom.  And he is my little blond warrior.

Tonight will be much different in the Mease house.  Crews has been there a million times, but this moon will mark his initiation into "The Big Boys Club."  I'm so proud of him for taking the leap.  I'm so grateful to Shannon for taking on both of my boys.  And I'm so happy that my kids will always have the memories of their first sleepover with people who mean the world to me.

Night Crewsy.  I'm pretty sure you are stronger than us all!



0 comments:

Post a Comment