Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I love you...Justin Timberlake?!?

          For some unknown reason, I tend to have adverse reactions---a.k.a. the rarest of rare side effects--- to even the most mundane medications.  I have them to the stronger ones too.  Like when I was little, every time I took codeine, I had the exact same nightmare.  I remember the alligators all too clearly to this day and how I was forced to walk through a darned greenhouse full of them, over the tiniest stepping stones ever made.  Of course, it took a few years to make the connection between the codeine and the nightmares.  Probably because I was four and didn’t want to talk about it.  But who knew one drug could inspire the exact same nightmare every time you took it?  Maybe it can't.  Perhaps it's just me.
            When I got older, I found I also reacted conversely to Nyquil.  Whereas normal people who ingest the foul-smelling, bitter-tasting, green liquid quickly pass out and enjoy a night of restful sleep, I get jittery, anxious, and stay awake for hours upon hours swearing I can hear my pulse in my ears.  Not the most efficient way to offset cold symptoms.
            Then, a few months ago, I took Ambien for a week in an attempt to “reset my clock.”  Considering I’m usually in bed by ten and snoozing by eleven, the whole staying-up-until-two thing needed to be rectified.  So I took Ambien for seven days and when I started passing out on the couch by 9:30 again, I quit.  The next day on the way to the grocery store I started feeling loopy.  And by the time we were halfway done with the shopping, I was using the cart for support.  Luckily, this was the first time in years my husband had tagged along and he sent me ahead to the car.  And when he joined me, I was experiencing facial tremors.  It wasn’t pretty and the withdrawal symptoms lasted about a day.
            This leads me to last night’s dreams about Justin Timberlake.  Around eight-thirty, I took Tylenol Severe Cold and Allergy Nighttime.  It didn’t knock me out, but when I did fall asleep I started having weird dreams about the former N’Syncer, which is strange for a number of reasons.
For one, I was a Backstreet Boys fan.  I thought NSync was lame.  So dreaming about him being cool and loving their music is bizarre.  Two, I’m just not a big fan of him period.   He has really strange hair and is not a very good actor.  But for whatever drug-induced reason, last night, I thought Justin Timberlake ruled.  I was following him around like a lovesick tween and praising his new album (I don’t think there really is one).  And I also wrote a ridiculous blog post about how wonderful he was and anyone would be incredibly lucky to spend time with him (In the dream of course.  If I start sleep-blogging as the result of a drug, the blog might have to go bye-bye).  Oh, and we may or may not have gotten married.  The details are a little fuzzy.
Anyway, from now on, I might need to stick to my daily dose of gummy vitamins.  They are delicious and apparently the only thing that doesn't turn me into a total spaz. 
And as for you, Justin Timberlake: Stay out of my head.

0 comments:

Post a Comment