Saturday, January 31, 2015

Today.

Today, I woke up at 6:45 even though my kids were still asleep.

Today, as soon as I moved, my beautiful 9 year-old son was staring into my eyes and said, "I love a Saturday almost as much as I love you."


Today, I responded by pressing my face into Teague's neck and searched for that little baby smell I swore would never go away and that I could never possibly forget.

Today, that little baby smelled like a big boy who played hard last night and didn't take a bath.


Today, I rushed around handing out clothes, brushing hair, reminding to brush teeth, looking for shoes, looking for coats, promising Krispy Kreme if for the love of god we could just get out of the house by 7:45.

Today, I managed to leave the house by 7:49, but I forgot to brush my own teeth and I was wearing two vastly different socks underneath my 7th pair of UGGS.


Today, I was 21 minutes early to the school where my 5 year-old was testing for 1st grade admission.

Today, I walked my last child up to test for 1st grade admission.


Today, I repeatedly sat next to my ex-husband at multiple 1st grade presentations.

Today, we looked more like a couple than the other married parents because we were making polite conversation.


Today, I went to Pure Barre for 55 minutes.

Today, Pure Barre was the only 55 minutes I had to myself.


Today, I brought my best friend's kids to my house to entertain my kids.

Today, I spent 3 hours and 50 minutes scrubbing toilets, steaming floors, cleaning baseboards with a Magic Eraser, bleaching boy-pee out of tile grout, and oiling wood furniture while my best friend's kids entertained my kids.


Today, I had a fascinating conversation with my best friend's daughter about break-ups, make-ups, dumb boys, mean girls, fears of family illness, and ladybugs.

Today, I vacuumed up over 30 ladybugs in my bedroom while discussing these things with my best friend's daughter. (She does NOT like ladybugs).


Today, my kids and I had dinner with my best friend's family.

Today, I remembered why my kids and I have the same best friends.


Today, I took my kids to the grocery store at 7:20 pm to buy supplies for my Super Bowl party.

Today, I remembered why I hate the grocery store when you have kids and it is 7:20 pm.  And that being a JETS fan means you never really have to worry about it anyway.


Today, I put my kids in the cleanest bathtub known to man.

Today, when the kids exited the bathtub, it was no longer clean nor suited for man.


Today, we brushed teeth, searched for PJs, read 6.5 books, and got tucked in.

Today was a good day.


But, the best part of today?

Well, that would be tomorrow.  When they see that I finally remembered to sew a button nose on Green Fox and button eyes on Horsie.

Because yesterday, they both asked twice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment